Mysteriuo '^' after completion at the end of line

Hi,

 "suddenly" sometimes I got a '^' at the end of a line, which was
 tried to be completed with TAB, which break the whole completer stuff
 badly. The completion is done correctly and then a '^' is appended.

 Since I have NO idea what could be the source of this I would like to
 ask, whether someone could give me a hint where to start the search.

 The only thing, which I installed since the last working completion
 was "gnu screen".

 But the above described effect also appears when not using screen.

 Any idea for what to search and what to try is very appreciated !

 Thank you very much in advance!
 Have a nice weekend,
 Meino