Re: Using a shell database

On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 11:40:26 -0500,  wrote:

>On 11/14/05, zzapper <david@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> I have shell utility which stores information (between sessions) in a series of text files. I now
>> want to do something more complicated, and realise I should be considering using a database.
>> I then ran smack into a steep learning curve.
>> Is there a shell accessible database? gdbm?
>> Pointers please, examples if possible
>
>You don't want to bring databases into your shell script. You want to
>begin to use a tool that's better-suited for the job, like Perl,
>Python or Ruby.

Thanx for both replies, it would seem my requirement has crossed the invisible shell/application
boundary.I realise now that shells don't have a database I hoped there might be a real simple
"pairs" application.

I did have a phase of writing all my "scripts" in Perl, but noticed that they were much slower than
their equivalent shell scripts.

Any comments from the zsh maestros?
--
zzapper