vi mode and history-search key binding

Hi:

Among my favorite keybindings are

     bindkey '\e[A'    history-search-backward
     bindkey '\e[B'   history-search-forward

Since I use vim instead of emacs, I thought I ought to at least try vi keybindings, although I think my brain is too hard-wired to make the switch. In any case, the up and down arrows would be of more use having this altered binding. I tried this:

     bindkey '\e[A'  vi-history-search-backward
     bindkey '\e[B'  vi-history-search-forward

It appears to have no effect. Is this intended?

Thanks.

Bill Scott