losing stderr messages

Hi list,

I am pretty new to zsh, using it for login shells now for about a month.
My question may be simple.

I have a command sequence which works as expected when bash is the
default shell (/bin/sh) but which fails to capture stderr output when
/bin/sh points to zsh. Can someone tell me why, and better yet how to
find the missing stderr messages? The sequence is:

{ ./configure && make && make install } &> log &

When run under bash, all three tasks are backgrounded, and all output is
sent to log. Under zsh, all three tasks are backgrounded, but only
stdout goes to log. stderr output vanishes somewhere.

Details: zsh 4.3.2 (i686-pc-linux-gnu)
Linux hq 2.6.16 #2 PREEMPT Mon Jun 12 10:37:27 EDT 2006 i686 GNU/Linux
Distro is Debian unstable.

Any insights appreciated.

Chuck

--
The Moon is Waning Gibbous (75% of Full)
Get downloads from http://www.mhcable.com/~chuckh