global aliases and scripts in $path

Hi,

I've got a few global aliases[1] that allow me run my preferred
scripts without the "./" nuisance (no I generally don't want the
current folder in my path because of the security implications).

This works fine but a few apps in /bin have an extension. So when I
type rst2html.py (which is in /bin) python says it can't find the file
(yep, it's not in the current directory).

Is there a way out of this dilemma - meaning keeping the useful global
alias and also be able to run files in $path who have an aliases
extension?!

Thorsten

[1] alias -s exe=wine  \
             py=python \