History search

Hi.
    I've entered these two commands into my zshrc:

bindkey `tput kcuu1` history-beginning-search-backward >/dev/null 2>&1
bindkey `tput kcud1` history-beginning-search-forward >/dev/null 2>&1

Histor search however works only under TTY console or Eterm.
GnomeTerminal or Xterm ignore these settings. I can't figure out why
this happens. I would be grateful for any tips how to make history
search working under something other than Eterm and little explanation
for this strange behavior. Thank you in advance.
    Greetings.

--
Henryk Konsek
http://w3.tyszkiewicz.edu.pl/~hekonsek