Is this possible with MULTIOS

Hi,

 I have several cvs/svn-snapshots on my hd, which I update on a
 regular basis.

 Sometimes not all snapshots are update.

 Currently my script, which does the cvs/svn updates, pipes the output
 of the according cvs/svn-command through a filter to echo all lines,
 which signals, that files have been uopdated/merged/modifed etc to
 stdout. I have to watch the output to decide whether I want to
 recompile the source.

 What I want is something like:

 upcnt=`<update-cmd> | <filter> | wc -l`
 if [ 0 -ne upcnt ]
 then
  <recompile source
 else
  echo "No file has been changed!"
 fi

 BUT!
 "<filter>" should still print all lines which signal changes to files
 to the terminal....

 Unfortunately the "| wc -l"-part catches stdout and supress echoing
 those lines that way.

 "tee" seems no to work here, since it copies stdout to a _file_ and I
 want to avoid writing temporary files.....it seems I need something
 like two stdouts here...

 Or may be I had thought for too long about this so I don't see the (for
 others) obvious solution ???

 Any light against my blindness ??? ;))))

 Keep hacking and thank you very much for any help in advance !
 Have a nice weekend!
 mcc