Re: cd to a file

Andy Spiegl <zsh.Andy@xxxxxxxxx>:
[...]
> # cd to a file should take you to the dir that contains the file
> # courtesy of Artur Penttinen <artur@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> function cd () {
>   if [[ -n $2 ]]; then
>     builtin cd $1 $2
>   elif [[ -f $1 ]]; then
>     builtin cd $1:h
>   else
>     builtin cd $*
>   fi
> }
>
> Could still be optimized though, I guess.

I once did a 'cd'-wrapper function, that also tries to do some basic
error correction (this is also on <http://zshwiki.org>):

[snip]
function smart_cd () {
  if [[ -f $1 ]] ; then
    [[ ! -e ${1:h} ]] && return 1
    print correcting ${1} to ${1:h}
    builtin cd ${1:h}
  else
    builtin cd ${1}
  fi
}

function cd () {
  setopt localoptions
  setopt extendedglob
  local approx1 ; approx1=()
  local approx2 ; approx2=()
  if (( ${#*} == 0 )) || [[ ${1} = [+-]* ]] ; then
    builtin cd "$@"
  elif (( ${#*} == 1 )) ; then
    approx1=( (#a1)${1}(N) )
    approx2=( (#a2)${1}(N) )