Help on filename generation

Howdy Z Shellers,

I'm using the following function to prepare a directory of files from
those in a previous directory.  The files I want have Emacs backup
files with the same names except for ~ at the end.  So, I do NOT want
the backup files in the new directory.

This is a minimal example: the function as shown below just prints the
filenames, the rest of the code is fine; its the "for" line that needs
help.

function doit() {
   for file in $1/*(generic)*~*(~)
   print $file
   exit
}

Currently I get "doit:1: unknown file attribute."   When I enter this
globbing pattern at the interactive prompt, I get the files I want.

What's the proper way to match part of a filename and NOT the other
part?

Thanks,
Joel

--
Joel J. Adamson
Biostatistician

*Getting unexpected output from Word?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sZtriK9rKQ&NR=1

*Try LaTeX: it's free, easy and professional
http://www.edafe.org/latex/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LaTeX
http://nitens.org/taraborelli/latex

The information transmitted in this electronic communication is intended only for the person or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this information in error, please contact the Compliance HelpLine at 800-856-1983 and properly dispose of this information.