globbing in scripts

I would like to expand complicated filename patterns in scripts.  Like if the script (say s) is
   #!/bin/zsh
   ls $~1
with the call
   ./s "^f*"
it should do the same as
   ls ^f*
This works fine with simpler patterns like
   ./s "*"
but as soon as anything more complicated appears it keeps handling $~1 as a string.  Strangely enough outside scripts it works fine again:
   p="^f*"; ls $~p
does exactly what one would expect.

Am I being thick?  How can I do it?  I would be happy with either different calling of the script or (and?) different script, but with passing the pattern as a single argument.

Many thanks,
  Imre

PS: Sorry if I am sending this twice.