Re: newbie, scripting problems..

Okey..

I manage to put something together, that works in both Bash and Zsh.
( bash (V 3.1.17(1)-release), And Zsh (V 4.3.4) )

http://phoohb.shellkonto.se/pbev/pbtexts/pbackup.zsh
(a backup-script, mostly English comments)

http://phoohb.shellkonto.se/pbev/pbtexts/pbstone.zsh
(a game, sorry but mostly swedish comments.. )

Marry Christmas, and happy new years, and all that_!

Bart Schaefer wrote:
> On Dec 23,  1:43pm, Per Blomqvist wrote:
> }
> } Im newbie in shell (zsh).
>
> Welcome.

thx.

> } I rewriting a bash-script, to function also in this "Zsh". And running
> } into a several problems...:
>
> Unless your goal is to learn how to write the script in "native" zsh,
> you may want to start by placing
> 	emulate sh
> somewhere near the top.  This will reduce the number of changes that
> you need to make.  You say later that you want the script to run in
> bash as well, so something like
>
> 	[[ -n $ZSH_VERSION ]] && emulate sh

I cant see any bigger difference, between bash and zsh script.

"emulate sh" fixed the wildchars test though, I cant find any reference
to the "$~var" statements.

> However, I'll answer here a question that's going to come up later:
> Arrays are an extension to standard POSIX shell syntax, so there is no
> requirement that they be implemented in compatible ways in different
> shells.  It's possible to write a script that will run in both bash and
> zsh, but it's not possible in any straightforward way to write a script
> using array syntax that will run unmodified in both bash and zsh.
>
> } 1. Cant make a dynamic loaded array. In bash:
> } ToBe[${#ToBe[@]}]="$BTheFile" (that I do inside a loop, with some condition)
>
> Depending on how ToBe received its initial value, the problem is likely
> twofold:  (1) In zsh, variables are scalars unless either assigned with
> the var=( words... ) syntax or declared in advance with "typeset -a var"
> (sometimes written as the synonymous "declare -a var").  (2) Scalars in
> zsh can be subscripted to extract or modify substrings.
>
> So first try adding
> 	[[ -n $ZSH_VERSION ]] && declare -a ToBe
> somewhere before its first use (outside the loop).  That should fix the
> assignment you show above.
>
> Then you may want to try changing the assignment to
>
>     ToBe+=( "$BTheFile" )

This one also worked in Bash, on the fly.
/I never declare any variables, and it didnt seams necessary in zsh nether.

> which is a somewhat more efficient way to append to an array in recent
> versions of zsh.  You didn't say which version you have, so it may not
> work for you.
>
> } 2. Wildchars, or if its spelled wildcharts. Test of these. Wild
> } something I saw in some docs, was this zsh fancy thing. In Bash, this
> } works: "[[ $A = $B ]] && then do something" (there $A maybe a file , and
> } $B a wildstring as "*.avi")
>
> It's "wildchars" or "glob patterns" or often just "patterns".
>
> This is one of those things that would be fixed by "emulate sh".  The
> real zsh way is

> In "native" zsh, variable expansions are implicitly quoted, and need to
> be un-quoted in various specific ways in to behave like traditional
> /bin/sh variables.  Another case is $=B which is needed to split the
> value into words on whitespace.

$=B ?
(didnt do anything)

--