Re: Just a few questions.

This One Time, at Band Camp, Bart Schaefer <schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> said, On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 07:12:01PM -0700:
> On Mar 20,  6:58am, Wael Nasreddine wrote:
> }
> } I use zsh for shell, rxvt-unicode for Terminal emulator, urxvt runs
> } with TERM rxvt-unicode, GNU Screen runs with the term screen-256color,
> } now I'm not sure what's the issue, but when I login through GDM/KDM
> } the colors inside screen are all messed up

> Colors?  Or do you mean the character sets displayed?  The colors look
> OK to me, but I see that you're not getting horizontal lines in the
> prompt etc. in the second case.

> Screen is apparently not switching the terminal into the alternate
> character set mode when doing the line-drawing, but the termcap has
> line-drawing characters defined.  I don't know why this would happen
> from GDM/KDM and not from startx except that it must be some LC_* or
> LANG -related environment variable that is set differently (or not
> set at all) in one case or the other.  Try saving the output of
> "typeset -x" to a file in each case and then compare the two files.
Thank you for pointing this out, It was actually a LANG problem so I
added my LANG settings to /etc/profile and it works nicely now, Thanks
again :)

> } The second question is about a problem that has been bugging me for
> } a while now, and it doesn't just happen inside X, but whenever I am
> } inside ViM, when I type a letter, erase it and type another letter,
> } I'll get a weird char, not what I've typed

> Looks like you're unintentionally constructing unicode combining
> characters which vim isn't displaying properly ("real" width vs.
> display width conflict).  How you're getting started into combining
> characters in the first place I can't guess unless your delete or
> backspace key is sending something odd.

> Have you tried running zkbd?  It'll tell you when your backspace or
> delete are not sending ctrl-h and ctrl-?.

> Of course it's possible that vim is switching the terminal mode to
> keypad transmit or another flavor, so what you type at zkbd would not
> be representative of what vim sees, but it's worth a try.

> Have you tried gvim to see if the problem exists there as well?  If
> it does, see above about environment settings ...
The backspace is sending  , I attached the file generated by zkbd,
it happenÑ? in gvim too *-) so not a terminal problem ??

> } The third problem is zsh related ( really sorry guys for the above 2
> } questions being off topic ), anyway the problem is when I try to use
> } zsh outside rxvt-unicode the keys Home, PgUP, PgDn and End does not
> } work, in gnome-terminal instead of going to the beginning of the line,
> } I get this instead:
> } "H[2;A[0;G"

> Run zkbd and follow the instructions.  If you have trouble getting zkbd
> to work, see http://www.zsh.org/mla/workers/2008/msg00370.html
Thank you that actually worked perfectly... :)

--
Wael Nasreddine
http://wael.nasreddine.com

.: An infinite number of monkeys typing into GNU emacs,
   would never make a good program. (L. Torvalds 1995) :.