Re: Just a few questions.

On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 1:58 AM, Wael Nasreddine wrote:
<snip>
>  The second question is about a problem that has been bugging me for a
>  while now, and it doesn't just happen inside X, but whenever I am inside
>  ViM, when I type a letter, erase it and type another letter, I'll get
>  a weird char, not what I've typed, the next quoted character supposed to
>  be a, and the one after that is f, and i see? "å" "ff" "に" ... I have
>  no idea why this is happening but it's really annoying to have
>  undetected error like these while scripting... Any ideas ??

It's a vim feature that you turn on in your .vim/defaults file, line 97.
97 set digraph             " allow 'umlaute'

Might want to check the vim help for :help 'digraph':

                                     *'digraph'* *'dg'* *'nodigraph'* *'nodg'*
'digraph' 'dg'          boolean (default off)
                        global
                        {not in Vi}
                        {not available when compiled without the |+digraphs|
                        feature}
        Enable the entering of digraphs in Insert mode with {char1} <BS>
        {char2}.  See |digraphs|.
        NOTE: This option is reset when 'compatible' is set.

The reason it's not on by default is to avoid just such confusion.
Also, because it probably annoys most people.  Heh, even with the
'digraph' option turned off, you can still enter a digraph in insert
mode with <C-k>{char1}{char2}, which, too me at least, makes more
sense anyway.  Turn that option off, and enter your umlautes with
"<C-k>u:" (or "<C-k>:u"), and you'll probably be much happier.

And you probably would have gotten a quicker response to this question
if you had posted it to the vim-use mailing list.  ;-)

Hope that helps,
~Matt