bck-i-search for single parameters

I love being able to hit Ctrl-R to do a search backwards through my
command line history. I don't know how I lived without it. My only
complaint is that, more often than not, I find myself writing command
lines by combining flags from several other CLs. For example, I might
want to run a program (A) over the output of a previous program (B).
In my perfect zsh world, I'd ctrl-R back to the CL I previously typed
in to run program A. Then I'd do a history search for that single
parameter to program B to put them together.

Is there any way to do this? It would be like alt-period, only it
would let you search, rather than just pulling up the last parameter
to previous commands. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
  - Dan