Re: iterating through a hierarchy with a filter

On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 02:03:21 -0700
Alexy Khrabrov <deliverable@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Apr 10, 2008, at 1:51 AM, Peter Stephenson wrote:
> >
> > for file1 in source/**/*.xml; do
> >  file2=dest/${${file1##source/}:r}.txt
> >  destdir=${file2:h}
> >  [[ -d $destdir ]] || mkdir -p $destdir
> >  filter <$file1 >$file2
> > done
> >
> > If that doesn't work even with a few small tweaks, you'll probably
> > have to tell us why before we can advise better.
>
> Well, my hierarchy is a million small files.  So I doubt globbing will
> work -- should I try?  :)

You might get lucky, but it sounds like you need to do it the hard way.
You can use that code as the core, except you can move the directory
handling out of the way and end up with something like (again this is
untested):

handledir() {
  local sdir=$1 ddir=$2
  local dir file tail

  [[ -d $ddir ]] || mkdir -p $ddir

  for dir in $sdir/*(/N); do
     handledir $dir $ddir/${dir:t}
  done

  for file in $sdir/*.xml(N)); do
     filter <$file >$ddir/{$file:t}
  done
}

handledir sourcedir destdir

The only special zsh features are the globbing flags.  (N) forces
the expression to expand to nothing at all if no patterns matched.