Problem with color codes

Hi all,

I switched from old, hardcoded color variables over to the colors function.
For some reason, this confuses zsh when calculating the width of my
prompt. It is worth nothing that RPS1 is also affected even though

  echo $((${COLUMNS} - 1))

shows the correct width. I am attaching a screenshot with 7 kiB. I
really do hope that is OK, if not, please feel free to cuss at me. My
$PS1 and $RPS1 defintion files are attached, as well.
ZSH 4.3.4 & 4.3.6 show the same behaviour, I could not find any
other versions to test with.

Thanks for all input,
Richard