Why does extended_history timestamp commands that are not under its 'control'?

Hi all,

when you setopt extended_history, ZSH will put the timestamp of when it
exits in front of all commands that have not been timestamped, yet.
I can see why this could be considered useful, but personally, I dislike
this behaviour. If exact information when a command was issued is not
available, I would rather not store this information at all. Is there a
way to make ZSH not touch those entries?

Thanks,
Richard