Re: configure NIS test hangs on one of my OS X machines

On Sep 8, 10:04pm, William G. Scott wrote:
}
} Thanks for the reply.
}
} No strace (has traceroute -- no idea how to use it).

I just googled it, what you'd want is called ktrace.  However, the
error messages below are probably good enough.

} The one I have at work participates in an NFS network, webserver, and

Those are all completely irrelevant.  YP (yellow pages) is its own
network service.  NIS stands for "network information service".

} zsh-% /usr/bin/ypcat passwd.byname
}
} YP server for domain localhost not responding, still trying
}
} (indefinite hang).

So it just stops printing those error messages?  That's a bit odd.
Anyway, it'd probably time out after 15 minutes or so.

} I turned off file sharing and bluetooth sharing and it still hangs...

This has absolutely nothing to do with files or the web or bluetooth.

} Is there a way to avoid the test entirely?

Unfortunately not without changing the configure script.  The easiest
thing might be to temporarily rename /usr/bin/ypcat, and then rename it
back after configuration has finished.

} This is for the fink zsh package on OS X and they all should configure
} identically anyway.

They are configuring identically.  The problem is that an underlying
system service, in this case the yellow pages, is incompletely set up,
and is behaving badly.  For example on my home linux system:

schaefer[533] /usr/bin/ypcat passwd.byname
ypcat: can't get local yp domain: Local domain name not set
schaefer[534]

This is more along the lines of what I'd have expected (and what the
writer of that part of zsh's configure script expected) ypcat to do:
fail immediately if no server could be reached, not keep trying for
some unknown length of time.