How can one get editable, completing *and* history retrieval read command?

In zsh how can I read a line in a script with readline-like editing and history retrieval as happens in an interactive shell?

I see there is both "vared" and "read" and "vared" would work if it handled history retrieval like an interactive prompt does. Also, I would need a way to determine if a given file descriptor is interactive or not. (This last aspect I have a feeling I can figure out some way, although perhaps not the best way).

Thanks