What is the reasoning behind having NOTIFY be on by default?

What is the reasoning behind having NOTIFY be on by default?  I really
don't care to be notified either way, but there doesn't seem to be
such an option.  Anyway, if I have to be notified, why would I want it
intermixed with a command's output?  I'm not being sarcastic, I just
want to know how the setting was chosen so that I may understand it
better.

Thanks.