Re: Ignoring files with a specific extension

"Leslie P. Polzer" wrote:
> Only nothing of that worked for me... I have tried both setting
> fignore and doing
>
>   zstyle ':completion:*:*:vi(m|):*' ignored-patterns '*.fasl'
>
> (actually the extension is a lower case ".fasl")
>
> Is there something I should check for?
>
> FWIW I have the following lines in my /etc/zsh/zshrc:
>
> ---
>
> autoload -U compinit
> compinit -C
>
> zstyle ':completion:*' list-colors $LS_COLORS

Looks OK to me... in particular, you're using "compinit" without which
the ignored-patterns method wouldn't work.  I tried it from scratch to
make sure and it worked for me.

One point is that if you have *only* .fasl files, a later completion
pass will put those back in.  To stop that,

  zstyle ':completion:*' completer _complete

(the default is equivalent to adding "_ignored" to the end).  However,
usually the default behaviour is harmless and occasionally useful.

> and in my local zshrc, among other probably harmless things:

Yes, those shouldn't have any adverse effect.