Re: Suppressing failed glob patterns

Thorsten Kampe <thorsten@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> I like the default in zsh for failed glob patterns (which errors when no
> file matches the pattern).
>
> For example:
> % rm file1.* file2.*
> zsh: no matches found: file1.*
>
> zsh never executes rm (which is fine). Additionially I would like to get
> rid of the error message in a script. Unfortunately redirecting stderr
> does not work (because rm is never executed). Is there a way to keep the
> default and to suppress the error?!

Check these settings: <http://zshwiki.org/home/options/expn>

And also see what the difference between

  % echo non-existing-file.*
and
  % echo non-existing-file.*(N)

is.

That's documented in 'man zshexpn' and a list of available modifiers
and flags is also in <http://www.bash2zsh.com/zsh_refcard/refcard.pdf>.

Regards, Frank

                                                  -- RFC 1925