WORDCHARS ignored for some reason?

I have Zsh 4.3.4 on Cygwin, and one thing I haven't been able to figure out for the life of me, is why my word-based commands in readline don't respect the word separators I have set in WORDCHARS.

/cygdrive/c/Users/sameer/Desktop>zsh --version
zsh 4.3.4 (i686-pc-cygwin)
/cygdrive/c/Users/sameer/Desktop>echo $WORDCHARS
/cygdrive/c/Users/sameer/Desktop>

But when I do backward-delete-word, for example, it simply ignores most of those characters (the one I really care about is forward-slash, because I want to delete folder path components).

I haven't found anything useful on multiple forums, so I finally decided to post this out there.

Thanks! Sameer.