Re: sync history between sessions without entering 'history' command

On Mon, 9 Mar 2009, Ye, Jianye wrote:

> 2009/3/9 Angel Olivera <redondos@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> > On Mon 09.Mar.09 21:22, Ye, Jianye wrote:
> >
> > > My .zshrc
> > > setopt INC_APPEND_HISTORY SHARE_HISTORY setopt APPEND_HISTORY setopt
> > > EXTENDED_HISTORY HISTFILE=$HOME/.zhistory HISTSIZE=1000 SAVEHIST=1000
> > > ---------------------------------------------------------------------- When
> > > I have multiple sessions opened, each session could only see its local
> > > history until I enter 'history' or 'fc -R' command in any session. So, I
> > > need enter 'fc -R' from time to time to sync-up history. It's quite
> > > annoying. Any way to make history sync happen automatically ?
> > >

> > Aren't INC_APPEND_HISTORY and APPEND_HISTORY mutually exclusive? Try
> > commenting out the latter.
> >
> > --
>

> I've commented out 'append_history'. But still the same.

From the documentation, it sounds like SHARE_HISTORY is the option you
want.  What happens if you remove INC_APPEND_HISTORY as well (and
EXTENDED_HISTORY, too?)?  It sounds like you might not want those set
explicitly.

From man zshoptions:
"""

SHARE_HISTORY <K>

This option both imports new commands from the history file, and also
causes your typed commands to be appended to the history file (the latter
is like specifying INC_APPEND_HISTORY).  The history lines are also output
with timestamps ala EXTENDED_HISTORY (which makes it easier to find the
spot where we left off reading the file after it gets re-written).

"""

Best,
Ben