Re: up-arrow no longer works right

On 2009-03-19 at 21:38 -0400, TjL wrote:
> The oddity is that sometimes (usually after exiting from ssh and/or
> screen) zsh seems to "forget" that, and pressing the up-arrow will
> just go back through my history line by line, ignoring what I have
> already typed.
>
> Usually at that point I just exit the shell and open a new one, but
> I'd really like to be able to kick-start my existing session if
> possible (especially when I've ssh'd somewhere).
>
> Any ideas what might cause this and (more importantly) what I can do to fix it?

Perhaps the cursor keys have been put into application mode and your
terminal type isn't supporting them in that mode?

When things are working, if you run:
  print -n '\e[?1h'
do they stop working?

If you run "bindkey", you'll see two batches for the two sets of cursor
keys; for me:
"^[OA" up-line-or-history
"^[OB" down-line-or-history
"^[OC" forward-char
"^[OD" backward-char
[...]
"^[[A" up-line-or-history
"^[[B" down-line-or-history
"^[[C" forward-char
"^[[D" backward-char

If those two sets ^[O<foo> and ^[[<foo> differ then this might explain
it.  So, (1) bind both sets the same and (2) see if "stty sane" helps.
And:  print -n '\e[?1l'

Regards,
-Phil