Compiling Zsh for Mac PowerPC and Intel

I am using my Powerbook (PowerPC processor) which I haven't used
regularly for awhile now. I'm realizing that I've compiled a bunch of
3rd party utilities (most notably zsh :-) but they are Intel only,
specifically:

zsh: Mach-O executable i386

whereas Apple has compiled "universal" programs which are both Intel
AND PowerPC, or, specifically

# file /bin/zsh
/bin/zsh: Mach-O universal binary with 2 architectures
/bin/zsh (for architecture i386):       Mach-O executable i386
/bin/zsh (for architecture ppc7400):    Mach-O executable ppc

My question is, how do I compile zsh so I end up with a "universal" binary?

Thanks for any assistance.

TjL