Re: Weird Symbols With zsh in urxvt

On Mon, 18 May 2009 03:13:03 +0200
Thomas Bohn <thomas@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> When I start zsh in urxvt and use the history or tab I get sometimes a
> line like this:
>
> thomas@proton ~ % ^[[A^[[A^[[A^[[A
>
> When I hit enter I see the command I "typed" in and the command is
> executed.

That's the up arrow being inserted into the buffer instead of (or
possibly in addition to) being interpreted by the shell.  I can't tell
from your description whether history is working, or you get that
instead, and if so what happens when you type a command.  If the order
is this:

- shell starts
- the prompt appears (here?)
- you type up arrow
- (or does the prompt appear here?)
- the ^[[A appear in the command line
- nothing else happens for a bit
- eventually the history moves up the number of lines for which you hit
  up arrow
- the display is replaced with the appropriate line

then nothing fundamentally is wrong; something's just taking a long time
to start.

If that's not what happens, please describe in at least as much detail
what is happening.  It could be the shell is not switching the terminal
mode at the right point.

If the display doesn't change, i.e. you're really stuck with the ^[[A
until you hit "enter", it sounds like urxvt isn't updating the display.
Does typing ^L (control-L) redisplay it properly?