Unable to input multibyte characters.

numerous
Hi,
my problem is that input "äåå" but appears some weird code like "ÃåÃÂ?
ÃÂÃÂ".

I tried setting the multibyte option by "setopt multibyte", but after
that, "setopt" outputs no multibyte flag in its listing. So I figure
there might be something wrong with the version 4.3.10 ?

Terminal is urxvt and xterm, both were unable to input Chinese and
Japanese characters with SCIM. (doable in bash, nothing else is
changed.)

I've also recompiled Zsh with an explicit "--enable-multibyte" && has
started Zsh with --multibyte flag, they did no help.

(this is vital because there are numerous files are named in these
characters, and I use the shell tools to manage them. So please help !)