Re: unable to wait on completed job

On Nov 30, 10:36am, Greg Klanderman wrote:
}
} > "Fixing" this may be a fairly convoluted change to the already somewhat
} > baroque job table management code.
}
} So is this something you think needs to get fixed, would be nice to
} fix, or not worth it?

Some input from PWS would help, as he's more familiar with the job
table code.  I'd classify it as "would be nice" because we've gotten
along for almost 20 years without anyone even noticing.

Note that AFAICT, even with the operation as supported by bash, you are
only guaranteed access to the exit status of the most recently started
asynchronous job; so it's not much help in handling multiple parallel
tasks.  If you don't care about the exit status, you can do

    ! kill -0 $pid || wait $pid

to get the necessary effect.