Re: Unable to read history on latest Cygwin

On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 00:04:39 -0800 (PST)
"Peter A. Castro" <doctor@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Dec 2009, Wayne Davison wrote:
> > As for Peter's idea of using a symlink, do you know if the cygwin folks
> > mention if their emulation of a symlink is an atomic operation?  We could
>
> Symlinks in Cygwin are a close analog to true filesystem supported
> symlinks.  They are just a 'plain' file with a special name (and file
> attribute) and contain the redirection to the target file.  So....since a
> Cygwin app. must access the symlink/file through Cygwin (which is doing
> the symlink resolution) you can considder it "mostly" atomic.  It's
> certainly not atomic from the underlying filesystem perspective (because
> it doesn't support it), but the emulation layer is the only access point
> for the app. to get to the symlink file.  Does that answer your question?

Since we're only locking this against other instances of zsh---we need OS
support if we want "real" locking---I think that does clear it up.

--
Peter Stephenson <pws@xxxxxxx>            Software Engineer
Tel: +44 (0)1223 692070                   Cambridge Silicon Radio Limited