Re: make zsh completion ergonomics closer to those of bash?

On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 4:46 PM, Benjamin R. Haskell <zsh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Did you try 'setopt bashautolist'?
>
> Otherwise, let's be sure the defaults are the same...
>
> $ set -o | grep -E 'menu|autolist|listam'
> noautolist            off
> noautomenu            on
> bashautolist          off
> nolistambiguous       off
> menucomplete          off

I had some different settings, but now I get the same as you, but the
behavior isn't what I'm looking for:

%  set -o | grep -E 'menu|autolist|listam'
 ~
noautolist            off
noautomenu            on
bashautolist          off
nolistambiguous       off
menucomplete          off
% cd /tmp/zshcomptest
  ~
% cat <tab>afile
 /tmp/zshcomptest
afile             commonprefixaaaa  commonprefixccc
bfile             commonprefixaaab

So I hit <tab> once, and immediately "afile" is printed and the cursor moves
to the end of "afile".

Similarly, if I type:

% cat comm<tab>

Immediately, I get:

% cat commonprefixaaaa

(along with a list of the available options below).

It is the fact that it automatically fills out the completion with the first
option the first time that I hit <tab> that I'm trying to avoid :-/

Ian.

--
Ian Clarke
CEO, SenseArray