Re: Shell options during completion?

On Sun, 7 Feb 2010, Peter Stephenson wrote:

> "Benjamin R. Haskell" wrote:
> > Then I guess my question is more PCRE-specific than I'd thought...
> > Is PCRE "usually" available?  (For some "most distros"/"most
> > OS'es"/"most users" value of "usually")  Or should I just code up
> > the 'fallback' path in my other example (since I'd have to code it
> > anyway for the the doesn't-have-PCRE case)?
>
> It's probably safest to assume PCRE isn't available:  pcre is often
> not a package installed by default, may well not be present at all on
> systems that aren't Linux or BSD distributions, and enabling it is a
> special configure option.

Nuts.  That's what I feared, but I was heartened by finding it in the
stock OpenSolaris10 install.

> You probably *can* assume POSIX regular expressions are available, i.e
> [[ ... =~ ... ]] with REMATCH_PCRE turned off.  That's tested for in
> configure, but I would expect most systems to provide it.

Given that, I'll probably just avoid =~ altogether, unless there are
nice ways to deal with greediness and multiline matching.  (i.e. I think
it'll be simpler to switch to zsh-internal parameter substitutions.)

--
Thanks,
Ben