accept-exact-dirs needs accept-exact to be set to true?

Hello,

When zsh attempts completion on /usr/bin/, I do not want it to look for
matches for /usr. Hence, I set accept-exact-dirs to true.
Next, when completing $foo, I want zsh to list the ambiguous matches (like
$foo, $foobar etc.). So, I set accept-exact to false.

However, it appears that accept-exact should be true for accept-exact-dirs
to work. Anything I can do to make it work? Or did I miss anything here?
I am using 4.3.10

Thanks for your time.

- Gowtham