Re: exit status problem

On 2010-12-06 08:21:42 -0800, Bart Schaefer wrote:
> On Dec 6, 12:24pm, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> } and why do I get "ypig:~[0]>" only after a window resize *and*
> } typing [Enter].
>
> If I poke something into RPS1 in a trap handler and then resize the
> window, I see the change from the trap as soon as the window is
> resized, not later after typing Enter.  But my xterm sends a stream
> of SIGWINCH at the process underneath, it doesn't wait until I stop
> resizing and then send the signal once.  Might that matter?

The *old* prompt is redisplayed when the window is resized, but
why not the new prompt (see below)?

> } If I do not resize the window, the prompt is not changed.
>
> There is something confusing about the screen shots you first sent.
> If those are in fact consecutive shots of the same terminal session,
> as they appear to be, then it also appears that your prompt was
>
> ypig:~[1]>
>
> at 15:59:59 *after* the screen resize, and then was *overwritten* at
> 16:00:03 by
>
> ypig:~[0]>
>
> after which at 16:00:37 the prompt with [1] returns.  My question is,
> what happened between 15:59:59 and 16:00:03 that caused the prompt to be
> "updated in place"?  If all you did was hit Enter, the new prompt should
> have appeared *below* the old one, not on top of it.

15:59:59 was the time the sleep process ended. When I resized the
window at 16:00:03, the prompt contents (as displayed) didn't change.
When I hit [Enter] at 16:00:37, the old prompt was replaced by the
new prompt contents (hence "ypig:~[1]>" changed to "ypig:~[0]>" and
15:59:59 changed to 16:00:03, which was the time of the resize).

--
Vincent Lefèvre <vincent@xxxxxxxxxx> - Web: <http://www.vinc17.net/>