Re: Why can't the 'main' keymap be an alias from 'vicmd'

On Thu, 09 Dec 2010 07:18:52 -0800
> What you really mean is that vi-insert and all its friends don't mean
> "select the viins keymap", they mean "position the cursor as needed
> and switch back to the main keymap".

Yes, you're right.

> If we had thought about it hard enough, when we introduced the magic
> name "main" for the primary keymap we should also have introduced a
> magic name "alt" for the bindkey -a keymap, and let you have any two
> keymaps as main/alt.  Then bindkey -v would select viins/vicmd, and
> bindkey -e would select emacs/vicmd, and we could have documented
> that vi-cmd-mode really means alt-keymap-mode.
>
> Maybe it's not too late to do this anyway, as it won't change any of
> the old behavior.

Doesn't sound impossible to without screwing anything up.

--
Peter Stephenson <pws@xxxxxxx>            Software Engineer
Tel: +44 (0)1223 692070                   Cambridge Silicon Radio Limited