Re: creating user defined special parameters?

On Jan 11,  9:36pm, Atom Smasher wrote:
}
} it's not my desire to emulate ksh's discipline functions or compound
} variables, i just want a way to define a "simple" variable as a function.

Yes, I understand.  I was explaining why a simple implementation has
not been pursued:  because there's already an example of a more
thoughtfully designed feature that it would be preferable to emulate,
rather than have yet another case of several incompatible ways to
do the same thing.

Ksh discipline functions solve several problems, not the least of
which is the question of how, inside the discipline function, to
refer to the variable associated with the function without causing
either namespace collisions or an infinite recursion.  The compound
variable syntax is central to that solution.