Re: possibly useful zsh_directory_name implementation

On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 02:06:45 +0100
Mikael Magnusson <mikachu@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> function zsh_directory_name () {
> }
>
> With this, /home/mikachu/some/directory/somewhere% cd ~[/some], will
> take you to /home/mikachu/some/, and cd ~[.foo] will take you to foo/
> in whatever parent directory has a subdirectory foo, for example it
> could be /home/foo/.

I've been meaning to add a zsh_directory_name hook, so you can have
multiple functions implementing this and the function here would
interact nicely with other functions that implemented naming without the
"/" or "." at the start.  However, I need to think about the
consequences --- it's more complicated than the existing hooks.

(Just to state the obvious, you can get a less controllable effect of
this using cdpath, although I find life's a bit too complicated to rely
on cdpath these days.  My zsh_directory_name implements a hierarchical
scheme where, for example, [p:c:p=main] specifies which Perforce client
I'm using, which project within the client, and which private branch
within the project.  It might be interesting to generalise this to
something configurable with associative arrays.)

--
Peter Stephenson <pws@xxxxxxx>            Software Engineer
Tel: +44 (0)1223 692070                   Cambridge Silicon Radio Limited