Re: Why large arrays are extremely slow to handle?

> On Mar 25,  2:37am, nix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> }
> } I think there's is a big flaw somewhere that causes the following:
> }
> } #!/bin/zsh
> } emulate zsh
> } TEST=()
> } for i in {1..10000} ; do
> } TEST+="$i" # append (push) to an array
> } done
> }
> } --- 10K
> } time ./bench
> } real    0m3.944s
> }
> } --- 50K BOOOM! WTF?
> }
> } time ./bench
> } real    1m53.321s
> }
> } Any ideas why it's extremely slow?
>
> It's not the array, it's the loop interpretation thereof.
>
> TEST=({1..50000})
>
> will populate a 50k-element array almost instantly.  Here's a 500,000
> element array on my home desktop:
>
> torch% typeset -F SECONDS
> torch% print $SECONDS; TEST=({1..500000}); print $SECONDS
> 24.9600260000
> 25.4452710000
> torch%
>
> Put that in a loop instead, and you're interpreting a fetch/replace of the
> whole array on every cycle.  This is in part because array assignment is
> generalized for replacing arbitrary slices of the array; append is not
> treated specially.  [If someone wants to try to optimize this, start at
> the final "else" block in Src/params.c : setarrvalue() -- but beware of
> what happens in freearray().]
>
> As it happens, you can get much better update performance at the cost of
> some memory performance by using an associative array instead.  Try:
>
> typeset -A TEST
> for i in {1..50000} ; do
> TEST[$i]=$i
> done
>
> Individual elements of hashes *are* fetched by reference without the
> whole hash coming along, and are updated in place rather than treated
> as slices, so this is your fastest option without a C-code change.

typeset -A did the trick. Now the speed is decent enough on my 1090T:

For a 50K:

time ./bench
real    0m0.681s

My C skills are very limited (barely basics), so im afraid it's better not
to touch at all to that code.

> You can also build up the "array" as a simple text block with delimiters,
> then split it to an actual array very quickly.  Append to a scalar isn't
> really any better algorithmically than an array, but it does fewer memory
> operations.
>
> torch% for i in {1..50000}; do TEST+="$i"$'\n' ; done
> torch% TEST=(${(f)TEST})
> torch% print $#TEST
> 50000

As usually, thank you for very detailed explanation of the problem and
solution. Now even 'TEST=( $(print -r -- ${(u)=TEST}) ) # List only unique
elements in an array' give reasonable speed after using associative array.

I like "foreach", very similar to PHP's one.

Thanks.