signal handling via ssh

Dear list,

I have a question that is maybe off-topic, so please forgive me if it turns out that this is not at all zsh or even shell-related.

If I do the following:

  ssh -t $server "less /var/log/syslog; exec \$SHELL -l"

end then press 'q' I end up on $server in a login shell. That's what I want.

However, If I do this:

  ssh -t $server "less +F /var/log/syslog; exec \$SHELL -l"

and press '^C' I'm logged off from $server. The '^C' does not seem to go through to only the less process.

How can I achieve something like the above but such that ^C does not end the ssh connection?

Thanks for any help.

Sebastian