Re: INTERACTIVE_COMMENTS - why?

On Aug 24,  3:17pm, Frank Terbeck wrote:
}
} Fair enough. But then again, who wouldn't set `extended_glob'? ;)

I don't.  I have a little "eglob" function that I use as a prefix to
the command line when I want extended globbing.  (Obviously I spend
too much of my time cleaning out backup files that have "#" and "~"
in their names.)

} Still: The choice of having it unset by default might still be for
} emulating csh behaviour. Or maybe not. If someone can remember why
} it's off by default, I'd be glad to hear about it.

It's almost certainly related to csh.  Zsh was first invented as a
shell to bring Bourne shell parsing regularity and scripting features
to users (university students in a BSD Unix environment) who had been
introduced to Unix via csh.  Anything that would overtly confuse a
csh-er who was typing a simple one-liner at the prompt was avoided.