Re: Expand array into multiple elements per item?

On Tue, 13 Sep 2011, Mikael Magnusson wrote:

On 13 September 2011 10:57, Peter Stephenson wrote:
Why does neither (i) nor (ii) work?

The main problem is that globbing flags rely on globbing; if there's no matching file, it doesn't work. [...]

One fun thing you can do is use .(e,'reply=(foo bar baz)',) if you want to use some other globbing flags on your data. It's not applicable for this problem, at least I can't think of a way. I did suggest it on irc once for sorting an array by the basename:

22:39 <offbyone> I want to sort this by basename so that I order the elements in this pair of expansions asciibetically regardless of the directory they're found in. 22:39 <offbyone> (so, for example, if I had A/02_something B/01_something B/03_something, it'd come out as B/01_something A/02_something B/03_something)
22:47 <Mikachu> a=( oneglob anotherglob )
22:47 <Mikachu> echo .(e:'reply=($a)':oe,'REPLY=$REPLY:t',)

It would be nice to have a similar mechanism for sorting arrays maybe :).

+1.

Oh wait, I just realized it does work, just do this:

% print -l - .(e:'reply=($somelist)':P:-id:)
-id
a b
-id
-id
d e

Obviously, this does qualify in the 'a bit of a hack' category. (And yes, it does fail if $PWD is chmoded -x, maybe / is a safer bet.)

Cool.  Nice hack.

--
Best,
Ben