Zle history feature like that of many IRC clients?

Hello,

I'm wondering if, by any means, it would be possible to have Zle act in the
manner of many IRC clients? Specifically, if I were to type something, then
press the down arrow and get a blank input line, type something else and
execute it, then press up twice and get what I typed previously (but did
not execute) back again? I'm aware of the buffer stack, but I'm looking for
a method that works with the regular history. insert-pound is also nice,
but more effort than what I'm used to from IRC. Thanks for any ideas or
suggestions.

Kind regards,
Milky