zsh, compinit and ownership

I have zsh installed on my Mac via homebrew, which expects packages to
live under /usr/local and be owned by the primary user (in my case,
user "jay").  But I think zsh expects its sitewide directories to be
owned by root and only root.  So with ownership like:

drwxr-xr-x  3 jay  staff   102B Oct  1 16:12
/usr/local/Cellar/zsh/4.3.12/share/zsh/site-functions/

I get the following with "sudo -s":

% sudo -s
Password:
zsh compinit: insecure directories and files, run compaudit for list.
Ignore insecure directories and files and continue [y] or abort compinit [n]? n
compinit: initialization aborted

Is there a way around this conflict, to tell zsh "No, trust me, it's
ok to be owned by jay"?  Or is the only solution to teach homebrew to
have that folder owned by root?

See also:

 https://github.com/mxcl/homebrew/issues/7801#issuecomment-2187273

Jay