Re: Cursor position in shell history

On Sun, Feb 12, 2012 at 22:27, Frank Terbeck <ft@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Last month I set up an Ubuntu based system, where I use zsh, as in all
>> the unix systems I manage. There is one thing which is driving me mad.
>> When I use the 'up arrow' to move through shell's history, the cursor is
>> placed at the start of the line instead of at the end. This only happens
>> in Ubuntu.

> Yes. Ubuntu basically uses the package from debian, which causes this.

>> I use the same .zsh folder with my settings and neither the global profile
>> nor the global zsh settings  (/etc/zsh) contain anything which me causing
>> it.

> Oh but it does. It's the global zshrc:

> [...]
> [[ -z "$terminfo[cuu1]" ]] || bindkey -M viins "$terminfo[cuu1]" vi-up-line-or-history
> [[ -z "$terminfo[kcuu1]" ]] || bindkey -M viins "$terminfo[kcuu1]" vi-up-line-or-history
> [...]

> There is more of this stuff in there. Change it to your liking.

Oh damn it, I thought I checked everything but you're absolutely right.

> FWIW, there is a bug about this in Debian's BTS:

>  <http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=383737>

> The position of the maintenance team so far is: It was changed to more
> vi-ish, and up to that point *two* people bothered to tell the
> maintainer. So it stays.

But it is not vi-ish either, if it were, the cursor would stay at the
same position,
not always go to column 0.

> My current view is this (/me puts his debian hat on): Move to a proper
> way based on $terminfo entirely to setup keys. That way everything below
> the "ncurses fogyatekos" comment can go away, too. Because it's really
> not the fault of ncurses that some value may be off here (but that's not
> relevant here - so I'll drop that thought).

> Such a move will probably cause some breakage, but is the right thing to
> do. And since we'll break something anyway, I think we should get rid of
> those bindings, as well, and let the user decide whether or not he wants
> them or not.

Well, the way I see it is that on anything not Debian based, I never ever saw
that behavior. Be it Linux, BSD, or whatever.

Although I also find hard to believe only two people have complained.

Anyway, _thanks_ a lot, this has been bothering me since I first installed that
Ubuntu machine.

--
Javier Marcet <jmarcet@xxxxxxxxx>