Re: job control problem

On 3/7/12 12:46 AM, Bart Schaefer wrote:

> schaefer[501] bash --version
> GNU bash, version 3.2.48(1)-release (x86_64-apple-darwin11)
> schaefer[502] bash /tmp/t.sh
> 1
> 67
> /tmp/t.sh: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable
> schaefer[503] echo $?
> 128
>
> No "retry" mentioned.  What am I missing?

Bash-4.2 will sleep for 1, 2, 4, then 8 seconds if a fork fails, trying
after each sleep to reap dead children.  It will give up after that and
report the fork failure.  You'll see messages like this:

$ ls
bash: fork: retry: No child processes
bash: fork: retry: No child processes
bash: fork: retry: No child processes
bash: fork: retry: No child processes
bash: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable

Chet
Chet Ramey, ITS, CWRU    chet@xxxxxxxx    http://cnswww.cns.cwru.edu/~chet/