Re: Zsh on Debian is beginning to rot

Mark van Dijk wrote:
> Debian sid is not much better - version 4.3.17.

What do you mean not much better. There is virtually no difference
between 4.3.17 and 5.0.0.

There is a 5.0.0 package in experimental. It's not in sid, because of
the current freeze in debian..

> I wonder why it's been so long since Zsh has had a decent upgrade on
> Debian. Is there no package maintainer? Is there a semi or non-official
> Zsh repository for Debian?

There is actually a team that looks after it. Visit #pkg-zsh on freenode
if you want to help.

> Of course (imho) the most convenient solution would be if debian just
> would replace all the zsh packages in stable, testing and unstable with
> a single zsh package. Version 5.
>
> Hopefully someone's reading this who is able to pull some strings...

There is no need to pull strings. 4.3.17-1 is in testing, so it will be
in the next stable release. And like I said, 4.3.17 and 5.0.0 is
practically the same code base. Don't think 5.0.0 is something different
because of the major release; you would be wrong.

Regards, Frank