Re: zsh-beta vs zsh Debian package (was: Re: Zsh on Debian [...])

On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 01:45:49PM +0200, Axel Beckert wrote:
> > For zsh, there are zsh and zsh-beta, but I don't really see the point
> > of having both in stable (this may have been interesting in the past,
> > but it seems that in the past few years, zsh has evolved slowly enough
> > so that only one version would be needed in stable).
>
> I agree.

It's a relic of the odd-and-even versioning system that no longer exists.
I kept with it mostly out of inertia and there not seeming to be much
harm in having a snapshot in stable.  I agree that there is also not
much point in having it either.

> Cc'ing the Debian Zsh Packaging Team and Clint for comments as Clint
> currently maintains the zsh-beta package.

I don't mind either way, though if there's any reason an upgrade from
squeeze would remove zsh-beta, maybe it's better to have a transition
package with a symlink to zsh for those few crazy people who use
zsh-beta as their login shell.

Speaking of transitions, did you guys come up with a plan for moving
zsh-beta under the aegis of the group?