Re: priority problem of ":|" and ":*"

On 26/12/12 01:10 AM, Bart Schaefer wrote:
} For the ":*", we have this result:
}
}     % a1=(a b c);a2=(a b c);print "${#a1:*a2}"
}     3

This is consistent with the above.

I admit that this is not intuitive when applying operations to the members
of the array, but it's the way #, ##, %, %%, and :# have always worked, so
it's a bit late to change it and arguably worse to make it different for
:| and :*.  (My sympathies if anyone's mail reader is too clever by half
and renders a lot of that as emoticons.)

I think it's astonishing that all this syntax hasn't imploded under it's own weight ;-)