Re: input foo, output '[F|f][O|o][O|o]'?

Since the topic is Regular Expressions, I will take the opportunity to recommend the O'Reilly book, "Mastering Regular Expressions" by Jeffrey Freidl. Even if you only work through the first few chapters (it provides examples for you to play with and learn), it will be worth the investment.

I am a very happy "student" (disciple, even) of Jeffrey Freidl's writing, and I have many O'Reilly books in my library.

Alex Satrapa