custom completion for listing *.tex is not working

Hello all,

I have tried this in order to make zsh suggests TeX files first to vi.

vi() { command vi ${*:-*.tex(om[1])} }
zstyle ':completion:*:*:.tex:*' menu yes select
zstyle ':completion:*:*:.tex:*' file-sort time

However, it doesn't work. Zsh is listing all types of files and not
necessarily the TeX ones first. I have to admit that i don't quite
understand the syntax below. Instead, i copied from a tutorial. Could
any of you suggest me a hands on tutorial for zsh new completion
system? Thanks in advance!

Leo